About Me

My photo
i'm a published poet working on my next book. i love reading, hiking, and and am a mean scrabble player.i admit i'm a sherlockian with pride. but on a warm day, i really like to hang out on my porch with my dog and a cool beverage and people watch the afternoon away.

Sunday, February 15, 2009

early to bed

I huddled in the
corner of my
apartment
last night,
nursing some,
dangerous thoughts.
yet, the order of my walls
with their pastel colors
and framed joy,
and the bookcases overflowing
with chaotic happiness,
both failed to stem
the evilness that
crept in and squatted
in my brain.
I was scared
in my little fort
between the couch
and the heater,
at a loss of what would happen next,
of what i would do next,
images flashing of past hurts
and future could be's
that left me so uncertain,
that i chose oblivion as the
safest recourse.
My hands shook as I counted
out night meds.
knowing how easy it would be
to take an extra one or seven.
So i tucked myself in
embarrassingly early
to escape from myself.
And when I awoke,
the uncertainty was
less uncertain,
but the inkling was still there.
So i must keep busy.
Church, Computer, Reading, Writing,
But what will happen when
i am alone again after i
exhaust these tasks?
Am I destined for a 7:30 bedtime
for the rest of my life?
So now you understand
this poem,
perhaps the impetus
behind all of my poetry:
i am afraid of what will
happen when i lay down my pen.

1 comment:

  1. Cycles - one thing to be sure of, what goes up sometimes comes down but when it's down it most certainly will rise again -it's all perception, we know... : ) (

    ReplyDelete