About Me

My photo
i'm a published poet working on my next book. i love reading, hiking, and and am a mean scrabble player.i admit i'm a sherlockian with pride. but on a warm day, i really like to hang out on my porch with my dog and a cool beverage and people watch the afternoon away.

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

a poem for fieldy

i watch my little one
bunny hop through the snow
and can't help to wonder,
"will this be his last winter?"
the thought stops me cold
and with a catch in my throat,
he wants to pull forward.
he is oblivious to my thoughts.
(at least i hope he is)
as they come
more frequently now,
almost as frequent
as his new penchant
for napping.
Oh! my little old man!
what will i do without you?
without your
salty, foul breath, kisses?
and your body pushed
so close to mine
in sleep?
who will share
my joys and my woes?
who will share
my meals and treats?
who will share my soul,
my true spirit friend?
these thoughts,
fleeting, cruel,
pass through my mind
when i see
a hesitation of step
or hear too many snores
in a day.
then i just hold him close,
his little doggie heart
so strong,
beating fiercely
as if it knows my fears,
and i am reassured
that my sweet companion
is far from ready for
my teary elegies yet.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, my dear, dear Jen. Could it be that you have forgotten your promise to me? It's past the time you reached out to ....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the "Poem for Fieldy" - I think your imagery is so magical and very appropriate - it captures the essence of the relationship as well as the dog's personality. Remember that the friendship of the doggyman is a gift - continue to enjoy him in the PRESENT!Loving you-mom

    ReplyDelete